Friday, August 8, 2014

SIGN-Along Videos Totally Beat Sing-Along Ones


The way cool videos travel around the internet, this may be old news right now, but I hope not, because I think it's rad. Sing-along videos seem pretty big lately (thank you, "Frozen"), but what about sign-along videos? American Sign Language interpreter Tina Cleveland and her fiance, Paul Sirimarco, recently posted a video of them in the car signing - not singing - along to "You're the One That I Want" from the musical Grease.

The first thing I noticed was that Paul does not look very thrilled, especially when compared to the wonderfully expressive Tina. Her facial grammar is definitely superior. However, I quickly remembered that Paul is driving while signing, so he is forgiven in my book! Take a look. What do you think?

My hope is that this video and videos like it will help American Sign Language gain some internet cred that will translate into the non-internet world of human-to-human interaction. Maybe more people will want to learn sign language, and we can work at bringing people from different communities closer through communication. Tina shares a similar hope. She wrote on Facebook: "Being able to share music through sign language (and dance) is honestly what my little heart lives for. Also, hearing people say they want to learn ASL is sooooo awesome! Do it!!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment