Saturday, November 29, 2014

In Opposition to Normalcy


I'm having some issues with my computer today, so I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of writing for all of you. However, I do have this charming video (yes, it does have captioning options) given by Rosie King about the liberating nature of her autism.

Rosie was self-diagnosed as having Asperger's Syndrome, and when she was nine years old, doctors confirmed her diagnosis. She has two younger siblings, a brother and a sister, who are heavily affected by autism, so Rosie has been working to increase autism tolerance through her natural, unabashed storytelling. 

Rosie King and her family.

Rosie got her start telling stories and raising awareness when she and her mother were asked to do a local news segment about Rosie's mother's children's books, which were illustrated by Rosie. She was then asked to host "Autism and Me," a BBC Newsround special program, which landed her an Emmy Kid's Award. Perhaps it is no surprise that Rosie hopes to become a professional actress and storyteller.

In her TED talk, Rosie questions the validity of mainstream notions about normalcy. Her sentiment is evidently shared by her family. From their family blog:

"Sometimes I consider what life would have been like if I'd had the typical family, but in my heart I know that there is no such thing as the typical family, just as there is no such thing as a 'normal' human being."

No comments:

Post a Comment