Friday, April 11, 2014

Stunning Recording of Vision Loss: John Hull's "Notes on Blindness"


I wish I had the words to describe accurately the beauty of this short film.

Writer and theologian, John Hull, lost his sight in 1983 a few days before the birth of his first son. To help himself through the process, Hull made audio recordings of his experiences, memories, and dreams. “Notes on Blindness” is a film that uses his actual recordings in conjunction with visual dramatizations of those recordings, and it is stunning. Hull provides utterly unique and eloquent insights on the physical and emotional response to vision loss. Maybe I'm biased given my combined artsy-film-geek ways and the field in which I work, but I have the deep feeling that many people will find this short quite beautiful and poignant. (Also, there is a part in the film that fans of the original “Solaris” will particularly enjoy, I think.)

The film recently premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival in Utah, and a feature-length version is scheduled for production this September.




Check out this page for links to some of Hull's written works, click here to access audio transcripts, audio-only, and close captioned video, and tell us what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment