Friday, January 31, 2014

Aimee Mullins Changes the Wor[l]d


We love Aimee Mullins! 

This Paralympic record-breaker, model, and activist is an intelligent and inspiring role model who, in this video, makes a powerful argument for the dismissal of common word associations in order to create empowered, rather than broken, individuals. It's a somewhat long video, so I'm going to keep the writing to a minimum. Enjoy and share your thoughts!

"There's an important difference and distinction between the objective medical fact of my being an amputee and the subjective societal opinion of whether or not I am disabled. And, truthfully, the only real and consistent disability I've had to confront is the world ever thinking that I could be described by any of those definitions."


Have a great weekend (and if you haven't already, take a look at last week's post before you enjoy the SuperBowl this Sunday)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment