Friday, February 1, 2013

Penny for Your Thoughts


This week's blog is a little shorter than usual, but there is something I received that I would like to share with all of you. A friend of mine recently gave out letters to a bunch of people whom he had gotten to know and care about. Some of them, like me, were people he had just met, but others he had known for years. The letter was essentially a request to help him change the world, to change perspectives. In this post, I am going to share a portion of that letter.

I have one favor to ask each of you. I can't force you to do this, nor is there any way for me to know if you actually ever will. However, I will greatly appreciate it if you choose to do this remedial task. I've spent the last ten months trying to save the world, and I really believe I can do it. I believe everyone has the capacity to save the world. However, most of us choose not to do so. I wholeheartedly believe that if everyone did whatever they could to make everyone else happy, then we could have world peace. It seems that we spend so much time making each other miserable. We're all perfect, but we let others tear us down. I really want all of you to believe you're perfect. Don't get too cocky, though, but just don't let the bullies win. If you get the chance to do or say something nice, then do it! If you can take a little time to put a smile on someone else's face, then why not? 
Anyway, the favor: There is a penny in each of your envelopes. I want each of you to take that penny and make a wish. Again, you don't have to do this, but I think it would be nice. You can make a selfish wish—I don't mind. You can wish for world peace. Whatever you want. I just want you guys to believe that your wildest dreams can come true, because you deserve it. Never lose hope.
Make a wish...

So, whether you share my friend's optimism or not, agree or disagree, I think there is some value to be found within his hope for all of us. I mean, really, wouldn't it be nice if we all treated each other respectably? We don't all have to be friends, but it seems reasonable that we should be able to regard one another as beings with value and worth.

I apologize if this post was a bit different or too general, but it's good, I think, to be reminded that we are all part of a human community. We're all part of a natural community, too. The point is, we are all part of something bigger than ourselves, so we have to take care of one another if we are to thrive.

Share the love, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment