Saturday, January 4, 2014

99 Problems: A Comedic Look at CP


I was going to write about Melissa Shang, a little girl from Pennsylvania who has muscular dystrophy and is petitioning to get American Girl to make a doll who looks like her, but I came across this funny and poignant video that I would rather share (especially since the American Girl story has been going around for a while).

Of the TED Talks shared on this post, I think this one is my favorite. Maysoon Zayid is a writer, actor, and comedian with cerebral palsy. This video touches on disability, race, sex, religion, Hollywood, and discrimination, but all with a humorous flair. In spite of various forces wedging their way between Zayid and her dreams--like the role of a girl with cerebral palsy being given to an able-bodied girl rather than Zayid--she kept her sense of humor and pushed through until she reached her goals. She is a rad lady!

Give it a look and share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment